do not be captivated by anyone or anything
Sunday, July 10, 2005
I was at PETRONAS USJ 2's tmnet Hotspot yesterday afternoon. There were a few Internet surfers around and I kept myself busy with my own work at that time. Then, I noticed a laptop, an IBM Thinkpad, left unattended at the high table without the owner in sight. A few horrifying accounts of missing laptops from my friends is enough to make me feel jittery for the owner. I looked around and tried to identify who the owner was. Luckily, Sophia (I found out her name much later) was only at the sales counter. Apparently, she was having trouble trying to reload her tmnet Hotspot account.

Still, it wasn't a good idea to leave an expensive mobile gear like hers lying around like that. 'Opportunists' are everywhere these days. Being the good samaritan, I offered to help her. I realized then that her Thinkpad is using the Chinese version of Windows XP. I can't read. Thankfully I have clocked enough computer hours to remember where the buttons were and what the labels meant. But as it turned out, navigation on a foreign looking OS was the least of my problems.

Sophia bought a reload card. Based on the instructions, I can reload the value at https://prepaid.tm.net.my. But then Sophia's hotspot account had already expired and thus we can't login into the Internet to access that page. Stupid.

I proceeded to call TMNet's customer service number 1-300-88-1515.

1st call. Rep mention her name first (can't remember) and asked me for mine and contact number. Cooperated. Told her about my girl's problem (had to pretend lar, telling her the full story would not be too practical). Seeked the rep's assistance to reload the value into Sophia's tmnet Prepaid ONE account. Successful. Realized that I also need to transfer the value from the Prepaid ONE account into the Hotspot account. Prepaid ONE is the master account but Sophia doesn't remember the password for it. So cannot transfer. Asked the rep whether she can do it for us. She can't. So asked her to reset the password for the Prepaid ONE account. Can but have to wait. After providing the rep with some verification info using Sophia's passport number, we waited. And waited... and waited.... and waited...

2nd call. A little pissed. Told the new rep about my problem. Finally got the password for the Prepaid ONE account. Ok good, can access master account to transfer value. Mind kept wondering why such a confusing setup to manage accounts by TMNet. Have to remember two sets of login ID. Aaargh. Cannot login at Sophia's laptop yet. Need access to Internet first. So used the Internet PC available at the station. Great, can login and check master account. RM 35.30. Proceeded to transfer value to hotspot account. Eh! Where's the option?!!

3rd call. Explained to rep that I can't transfer the value at all. Stupid option not available. She didn't believe that the option to transfer the value was not in the combo box that she had described. Gave her the usernames and passwords for Sophia's Prepaid ONE and Hotspot accounts. Kept reassuring Sophia that all was in good hands. Rep checked the account and said that both accounts are active. Argued with rep then why can't I transfer the value. Argue argue argue and then suddenly the line went dead on the other side. Wtf.

4th call. Can't remember the conversation. Reps have standard operating procedure to ask for my name and contact number first even before I said 'hi'. I was already in no mood to provide any... >:-(

5th call. Explained to rep about Sophia's hotspot situation. Rep explained that this should be handled by the Hotspot section. Got transferred. A nervous sounding Chinese guy answered. Couldn't help wondering how perfect my English was at that time. He checked the Hotspot account and said that it was active but has no value. He couldn't help much and said that I should check back again with the original service rep. Wtf. I asked him to transfer me back but he said he couldn't either. #$@%&!

6th call. Very pissed! Gave the rep all the usernames and passwords I know. Demanded what I want and told the rep (or her supervisor) to call me back only when they have fixed my (I mean Sohpia's) problem.

We chatted. 'Sophia' seemed like an unsuitable name these days for a young 21-year-old Chinese girl from Beijing. She's doing a one-and-a-half year Business course at Cosmopolitan. Boyfriend, Fred, is pursuing his Masters. I quized her with a few Malay phrases and to my delight, she translated their meanings quite well. She doesn't like the food here though. Aah well, different people, different origins, different tastes. I should have gotten her email address. When I do visit Beijing ONE day, I could call her up to bring me around some nice places. Bummer.

15 minutes later. Stupid TMNet. Their reps also need to go for extra English classes.

By then, I had already given up on getting any response from TMNet. I offered her with a new tmnet start-up card. She was reluctant at first but I assured her that the station's owner is my friend. I activated a new account and reminded her of all the usernames and passwords that she needs to remember whenever she wants to reload her account again. It was a cinch and she thanked me profusely for it.

1 down for TMNet and 1 up for Ericos, superhero for the day... :-)

PS: Reached home at 11PM. Whole Saturday weekend was blown.
posted by Ericos
Comments

Perception in life is not defined by a long and continuous journey but rather a series of momentous singular events that shapes an individual's unique character. Each event gives rise to new perspectives, new fears, new strengths and even new ideals. By contemplating on the meaning of these events, I seek to expand my mind's vistas and thus becoming a better me.
about Me

Name: Ericos
Email: ericosta78@gmail.com
Location: Ampang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
news Feeds
global Interests
grey Matter
Why GREY? Why use grey for my blog's colour theme? I had wanted silver but it's kinda hard to get that on our monitor screens don't you think... :-) Anyway being grey is COOL. Neither black nor white but somewhere in between. Reflects my view of life perfectly and totally. There are no absolute rights or absolute wrongs, in other words, no absolute truths. Our perceptions are based on conditions and our actions are based on circumstances. But our life is not all that greeeeeeeeeeey right? Yup, that's right and this is where my photos, occasionally, will add the necessary dashes of colour to my blog. Just as how dull routines at work makes chance meetings with friends so cherishable, the greyishness of my design makes my photos so much more livelier.
hot Reviews

Project Petaling Street
Get Firefox!
Copyright (C) Eric Chua, circa 2005